If there’s one thing Planned Parenthood has, it’s a good public relations machine — and this includes the media. Mainstream media has been busy painting Planned Parenthood as the victim for its corporate decision to voluntarily exit the Title X Family Planning Program because Planned Parenthood refused to separate its abortion business from taxpayer-funded services. The media has done a good job of protecting the nation’s most profitable abortion provider, despite the corporation’s many scandals and abuses, which should have resulted in all tax dollars being pulled long ago. These scandals are laid out in detail below, and some of them are jaw-dropping.
1. Failure to report child sexual abuse
Planned Parenthood and others in the abortion industry fail to protect children by not following mandatory reporting laws. As an entity which received the federal Title X funds as well as millions of additional taxpayer dollars through Medicaid and other government programs, Planned Parenthood should be held to the highest standards. Instead, time and again, actual criminal cases have indicated that Planned Parenthood ignores obvious red flags of abuse and fails to report the suspicion of abuse — specifically child sexual abuse. A March 2016 report by the Congressional Research Service makes it clear that reporting even the suspicion of child sexual abuse is expected of Title X providers. The report stated, “Although minors are to receive confidential services, Title X providers are not exempt from state notification and reporting laws on child abuse, child molestation, sexual abuse, rape, or incest.”
2. Medicaid Fraud
In 2015, former Planned Parenthood manager Sue Thayer testified before a Congressional committee accusing Planned Parenthood of filing “[…] false claims totaling about $28 million with Iowa’s Medicaid program for (1) illegally dispensing ‘medically unnecessary’ quantities of oral contraceptive pills and birth control patches to C-Mail Medicaid patients and doing so without a prescription; (2) fraudulently billing the Iowa Medicaid program for abortion-related services; and (3) coercing ‘donations’ from Medicaid patients.”
The Office of Inspector General (OIG) website highlights several instances:
- PP Great Plains and Comprehensive Health of Planned Parenthood Great Plains paid $18,808.92 for allegedly violating the Civil Monetary Penalties Law.
- PP Health Systems, Inc. in North Carolina, South Carolina, Virginia, and West Virginia, agreed to pay $1,572,752.80 for potentially violating the Civil Monetary Penalties Law.
- PP Gulf Coast in Houston paid $4.3 million to resolve civil claims that it billed for items and services related to birth control counseling, STD testing, and contraceptives when they were not medically necessary or were not provided.
- Separately, PP Gulf Coast agreed to pay $1.4 million in a Texas Medicaid billing fraud case.
- PP of North Texas: Texas Health and Human Services Commission claimed Medicaid reimbursement of at least $129,000 for family planning services provided by PP of North Texas that did not comply with Federal and State Medicaid requirements.
Live Action News previously detailed additional violations — including several identified by the Charlotte Lozier Institute and Alliance Defending Freedom — totaling at least $8.5 million in waste, abuse, and potential fraud in the following states:
- California (two audits of two affiliates): $5,213,645.92 30
- Connecticut: $18,791
- Illinois: $387,000
- Louisiana (two audits of one affiliate): $6,147.18
- Maine: $33,294.83
- Nebraska: $3,537
- New York (seven audits of four affiliates): $1,615,083.25
- Ohio: none found
- Oklahoma: unknown, but the overbilling rates have been documented as 14.1%, 18%, and 20.3%
- Texas (two audits of two affiliates): $538,703.10 -$658,735.97
- Washington (three audits of two or three affiliates):$640,595.88
- Wisconsin (27 audits of one affiliate): $95,466.04
3. 340B Drug Discount abuse
Planned Parenthood’s history of fraud extends to the 340B Drug Discount Program, a federal government program which allows participating drug manufacturers to give certain covered health care entities access to discounted prices on outpatient drugs. Live Action News previously documented incidents where Planned Parenthood used duplicate discounts against HRSA requirements and were in violation of program rules.
Letters to manufacturers were issued after audits of:
And another PP received sanctions:
4. HIPAA violations
Live Action News has previously detailed Planned Parenthood’s multiple violations of privacy under the federal HIPAA law, including massive privacy breaches due to Planned Parenthood’s negligence, which exposed thousands of Planned Parenthood patients.
- PP of Greater Washington and North Idaho – 10,700 patients
- PP Southwest Ohio – 5,000 patients
- PP of the Heartland – 2,500 patients (2016)
- PP of the Heartland – 515 patients (2018)
TAB, a records management company working with the Planned Parenthood Federation of America for over a decade, identified what they called “some serious problems” with the records of Planned Parenthood of Illinois, which oversees 17 branch locations. In TAB’s document, they suggested that the corporation’s records were getting lost in the mail and seen by those not employed by PP.
Privacy breaches and complaints were also reported at:
- PP of South Atlantic
- PP of The North Valley
- PP Napa Center
- PP Utica New York
- PP of Northeast Ohio
- PP of Delaware
- PP in Chicago, Illinois
- PP of Trexlertown, Pennsylvania
- PP Gulf Coast
- PPP Mission Bay
- PP Moreno Valley Center
- PPP Mar Monte
- PP Shasta Pacific
- PP (multiple) – Washington State
Additional complaints are currently under review by Live Action News.
Live Action News previously documented accusations of discrimination by Planned Parenthood against its own staffers, for:
- Violation of Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA)
- Violation of Family Medical Leave Act (FMLA)
- Failure to accommodate disabilities
- Racial comments
- Sexual harassment
- Identifying conflicts of interest
- Pregnancy discrimination (and here)
- The corporation’s alleged failure to pay employees a decent wage
- Staff complaints about alleged shoddy treatment
- Allegations that the corporation’s leaders were prioritizing profits over care.
Planned Parenthood is far from a victim. It should be completely defunded.
“Like” Live Action News on Facebook for more pro-life news and commentary!
Stories like the one you just read transform hearts and minds.
For example, one of our followers, Ross, messaged us and commented:
“I began to question my pro-choice views after reading articles about Live Action…Live Action is primarily responsible for my becoming Pro-Life through their well-thought-out, scientific information and the emotionally and uplifting stories of real people with real experiences in saving the lives of their children regardless of what others might say.”
Knowledge is power and CAN open eyes to SEE the truth. And, YOU can provide the spark to transform someone’s mind, just like Ross.
The DAILY publishing at Live Action News is only made possible through generous people, like you, who give $5, $10, or $25.
Your gift today will not only keep these stories coming in 2020, but also help us open more eyes and change minds to be fully pro-life and save lives.
Will you join us in creating a world where the killing of preborn children is unthinkable and support Live Action News by making your tax-deductible gift today?