As we begin 2020, a look back at the previous decade reveals that since 2010, taxpayer-funded Planned Parenthood (PP) has reported ending the lives of nearly three million (2.9 million) preborn children — and during this same period has received nearly $5 billion from U.S. taxpayers. To date, however, the actual number is much higher because current data only reflects 2010 to 2018, the most current year reported by Planned Parenthood.
- PP committed 2,970,388 of the nearly 7.7 million U.S. abortions reported during that time frame.
- PP’s abortion market share average (percentage of abortions for the entire country) totaled nearly 35 percent (34.95%) during that time frame.
- PP received nearly $5 billion ($4,982,500,000) from U.S. taxpayers during that time frame.
Planned Parenthood’s decade of declining services (2010 to 2018)
This past decade also saw a decline in many of Planned Parenthood’s actual health services:
- In 2009, PP operated 840 facilities and claimed to serve three million clients; by 2017, PP’s facilities dropped to 600 and clients decreased to 2.4 million.
- Total services at Planned Parenthood dropped nearly 11 percent (10.74%), from 11,003,366 in 2010 to 9,821,548 in 2018.
- Contraception services declined nearly 31 percent (30.63%), from 3,685,437 in 2010 to 2,556,413 in 2018.
- Cancer screenings dropped nearly 65 percent (64.54%), from 1,596,741 in 2010 to 566,186 in 2018.
- Breast exams declined nearly 65 percent (64.55%), from 747,607 in 2010 to 265,028 in 2018.
- Pap tests dropped nearly 67 percent (66.78%), from 769,769 in 2010 to 255,682 in 2018.
- Prenatal services declined 68 percent (68.49%), from a high of 31,098 in 2010 to 9,798 in 2018.
- Abortions INCREASED 5 percent (4.93%), from 329,445 in 2010 to 345,672 in 2018, and taxpayer dollars increased nearly 15 percent (14.54%), from $538.5 million in 2010 to $616.8 million in 2018.
Planned Parenthood’s decade of growing assets and increased revenue:
Planned Parenthood’s assets grew substantially in the past decade — a point made by former Representative Jason Chaffetz in his book Power Grab. He writes that PP’s “endowment funds were valued at almost $88 million in 2013 and had grown to over $157 million in their 2016 financial report…. Keep in mind that the Federation does not supply direct services to the public….”
- PP’s net assets climbed nearly 72 percent (71.87%) from 1,159,600,000 in 2010 to 1,993,000,000 in 2018.
- PP gained $1,017,800,000 in excess revenue over expenses between 2010 and 2018.
- PP’s overall revenue rose 34 percent (34.42%) from 1,219,000,000 in 2010 to 1,638,600,000 in 2018.
- Between 2010 and 2018, PP’s revenue totaled over $12 billion dollars.
Planned Parenthood’s decade of abuses
Over the course of the past decade (2010 to 2018), Planned Parenthood has been embroiled in a number of abuses, leading for calls to completely defund the abortion giant. Live Action and others have exposed these abuses for many years. Here are some examples:
2008: Live Action’s undercover investigation exposes PP’s willingness to accept racially motivated donations.
- Live Action releases undercover investigation exposing PP’s child sexual abuse cover up
- Live Action also releases investigation exposing how PP uses unscientific, fabricated and misleading medical information to convince women to have abortions
- Live Action exposes the lie that PP performs mammograms, releases investigation exposing how Planned Parenthood covers for child sex traffickers
- PP vows to “retrain staff” but Live Action later documented the claim was a deceptive PR move
- Undercover calls by Live Action investigators expose the fact that PP lies to women about abortion risks
- Live Action undercover investigation exposes PP’s willingness to commit sex-selective abortions
- Live Action released a “damning investigative report” on PP that details shocking activity within the abortion giant’s walls, including covering up the sexual abuse of children, facilitating taxpayer-funded sex-selective abortion against girls in the womb, and manipulative counseling tailored to convince women to abort their children
- Live Action’s undercover investigation exposes the fact that PP’s disturbing advice on sex for teens promotes BDSM and other disturbing sexual practices
- Center for Medical Progress begins releasing undercover footage of PP staffers haggling over the price of aborted baby body parts
- Texas removes PP from its Medicaid program
- Washington Post calls PP’s 3% stat “misleading” and debunks false claims that PP performs mammograms
- Live Action president Lila Rose urges Congress to continue its investigations into PP’s involvement in the trafficking of aborted baby body parts
- Live Action releases Abortion Corporation series, exposing the lie that abortion is a small percentage of what PP does
- Several states move to defund PP
- U.S. Senate referred four PP affiliates and PP’s national office to FBI and Justice Department for suspected crimes resulting from PP’s baby parts trafficking scandal
- Evidence uncovered by a Congressional investigation led to at least one major PP affiliate being referred to Texas authorities for breaking state and federal law
- U.S. Department of Justice confirmed it began criminal investigation into PP’s baby parts trafficking scandal
- Live Action releases video that features politicians misleading American people about services their tax dollars are funding at PP
- An interview with Live Action president Lila Rose and a former PP manager reveals that instead of helping employees identify and report potential abuse, PP’s training sessions instructed staff how to identify undercover journalists and whether they were being recorded
- Live Action News exposes how PP has been cited for Medicaid fraud
- Live Action releases interviews with former PP staffers who reveal barbarism of abortion and that PP isn’t aborting a “clumps of cells” or “products of conception”
- They also reveal how PP misinforms women about development of their preborn babies, has a poor standard of care for clients (with former managers accusing them of “treating women like cattle”), and uses ultrasounds only for abortions.
- Live Action investigators expose that abortion is the primary service PP offers pregnant women, that PP lies about services it provides (including prenatal care), and that PP has abortion quotas.
- Twelve members of Congress join Live Action to call for an end to the taxpayer funding of Planned Parenthood.
- Political activist and PP president Cecile Richards announces her resignation
- PP names Leana Wen as president
- Live Action News fact checks PP’s false claims
- PP staffers accuse PP of pregnancy discrimination and profit over care
- Live Action releases Aiding Abusers investigative report and docuseries, which includes actual criminal cases exposing how PP covers up child sexual abuse, including testimony from the attorney of two victims
- Live Action releases past investigative videos showing PP employees at 15 different facilities, caught on hidden camera, willing to cover up child sexual abuse and child sex trafficking
- Live Action exposes Hollywood hypocrisy over PP’s cover-up of child sex abuse
- Fifty-six members of Congress call on the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services to begin an investigation into PP
- PP announces a plan to expand abortion, and begins purging staffers
- Live Action News fact checks PP’s false claims again, followed by the Washington Post
- PP fires president Wen, who afterward claimed the “priority of Planned Parenthood… is to double down on abortion rights advocacy”
- PP announces another political activist, Alexis McGill Johnson, will serve as “Acting President and CEO”
- Jury unanimously awards a PP whistleblower $3 million
As the battle to expose Planned Parenthood continues, the pro-life community is just as committed to exposing the abortion corporation in 2020 as it was in the past decade.
“Like” Live Action News on Facebook for more pro-life news and commentary!