Poll: Most Americans support 'heartbeat bills' protecting preborn babies

Poll: Most Americans support ‘heartbeat bills’ protecting preborn babies

preborn, heartbeat, pregnancy centers

A new poll shows that the majority of American voters support banning abortion after a fetal heartbeat can be detected – usually at about six weeks gestation. According to The Hill, the results of a Hill/HarrisX survey found that most people think Heartbeat Bills are either too lenient or just right.

Heartbeat bills have been passed in states including Ohio, Georgia, Alabama, and Mississippi. Missouri and Louisiana have similar bills being considered. These bills ban abortion once a fetal heartbeat can be detected, considered to be around six weeks, although the Missouri bill looks to ban abortion at eight weeks.

The poll was conducted May 10 and 11, 2019, and found that 21 percent of registered voters found the bills to be “too lenient” — meaning they believe abortion laws should be even stricter. 34 percent said the bills are “just right” meaning they agree with abortion bans that begin when a fetal heartbeat can be detected. Combined, that is 55 percent of Americans who believe that abortion should at least be limited to about six weeks gestation. 45 percent disagree and believe heartbeat bills are too restrictive.

READ: New poll reveals 75 percent of Americans want abortion restrictions

heartbeat bill restrictions

The poll was also broken down into age groups, and found that the younger the group, the more likely they were to believe that abortion should be restricted to before a fetal heartbeat exists.

30 percent of American voters ages 18 – 34 said the heartbeat bills were “just right” while 27 percent of voters in that age group said the bills were “too lenient.” Just 43 percent found the bills to be too restrictive in that age group.

For voters ages 35 – 49, 36 percent thought the bills were just right and 18 percent thought they were too lenient. 38 percent of voters ages 50 – 64  said the heartbeat bans are just right and 21 percent thought they were too lenient. And for those ages 65 and up, 31 percent said the bills are just right, and 17 percent said they are too lenient.

52 percent of people ages 65 and up believe the bills are too restrictive compared to 43 percent of those ages 18 – 34.

Despite large outcry from Hollywood and pro-abortion groups, most Americans want abortion restricted. Countless rumors have been circulating about these bills, including that women who face miscarriages would be investigated for an abortion, but these rumors have been proven false.

“Like” Live Action News on Facebook for more pro-life news and commentary!

Dear Reader:

Stories like the one you just read transform hearts and minds.

For example, one of our followers, Ross, messaged us and commented:

“I began to question my pro-choice views after reading articles about Live Action…Live Action is primarily responsible for my becoming Pro-Life through their well-thought-out, scientific information and the emotionally and uplifting stories of real people with real experiences in saving the lives of their children regardless of what others might say.”

Knowledge is power and CAN open eyes to SEE the truth. And, YOU can provide the spark to transform someone’s mind, just like Ross.

The DAILY publishing at Live Action News is only made possible through generous people, like you, who give $5, $10, or $25.

Your gift today will not only keep these stories coming in 2020, but also help us open more eyes and change minds to be fully pro-life and save lives.

Will you join us in creating a world where the killing of preborn children is unthinkable and support Live Action News by making your tax-deductible gift today?


Most Popular

To Top