Planned Parenthood patient says staff botched abortion and abandoned her

Planned Parenthood, Albuquerque, Lancaster

A woman who was injured and then abandoned at a Boston Planned Parenthood is still seeking justice five years later.

Amanda Davis was receiving treatment for addiction in 2016 when she visited Planned Parenthood in Boston, Massachusetts, on February 4 of that year. According to Operation Rescue, Alice Mark committed the abortion on Davis after determining she was 10 weeks pregnant. After the abortion, Mark examined Davis’ baby and said the abortion had been successfully completed. Davis was sent on her way and was told someone from Planned Parenthood would check on her later — but no one did.

Over the next two weeks, Davis suffered with severe cramps, sometimes passing blood clots the size of a baseball. She repeatedly called Planned Parenthood, leaving messages saying that she was experiencing complications after her first-trimester abortion, but no one ever returned her call.

Nearly six weeks later, Davis’ pain was so bad that she could barely get out of bed, and she was taken to the emergency room. But she was again sent on her way, with doctors saying her pain was due to hormonal changes following the abortion.


Finally, two months after the abortion, Davis’s mother took her to Massachusetts General Hospital when her condition still hadn’t improved. It was only then that doctors realized the abortion had been incomplete, and body parts of her preborn baby had been left inside of her.

In her complaint, Davis says she was given misoprostol, causing her to undergo a “second abortion,” and experience more pain. She bled so much that she became anemic and had to be treated in the hospital. It wasn’t until May of 2016 that her bleeding finally stopped — three months after her original abortion.

Davis’ poor treatment is reminiscent of that of Cree Erwin-Sheppard, who died after a first-trimester abortion at Planned Parenthood in Kalamazoo, Michigan. Like Davis, Erwin-Sheppard experienced severe abdominal pain and went to the emergency room for help. Erwin-Sheppard was sent home, even though — according to her brother — she had suffered a perforated uterus. Unfortunately, unlike Davis, Cree Erwin-Sheppard didn’t get a second chance to receive help; she died overnight after being sent away.

READ: A case for parental notification: Teen left with baby parts in uterus after botched abortion

Multiple malpractice suits have been filed against Alice Mark, the abortionist who botched Davis’s procedure. Planned Parenthood, meanwhile, is resisting any settlement with Davis, and even appears to be trying to use her medical records for addiction treatment against her.

“This is what happens when abortionists stop even pretending to care about women and their babies,” Troy Newman, President of Operation Rescue, said in a statement. “Amanda’s injuries were not a matter of accident or a simple one-time oversight. Planned Parenthood failed her over and over and over again.”

“Like” Live Action News on Facebook for more pro-life news and commentary!

What is Live Action News?

Live Action News is pro-life news and commentary from a pro-life perspective. Learn More

Contact for questions, corrections, or if you are seeking permission to reprint any Live Action News content.

GUEST ARTICLES: To submit a guest article to Live Action News, email with an attached Word document of 800-1000 words. Please also attach any photos relevant to your submission if applicable. If your submission is accepted for publication, you will be notified within three weeks. Guest articles are not compensated. (See here for Open License Agreement.) Thank you for your interest in Live Action News!

To Top