Republican presidential candidate and business mogul Donald Trump has joined the GOP primary chorus in calling for Planned Parenthood to lose its taxpayer funding following revelations of its fetal organ harvesting practices, Life News reports.
“It’s disgusting,” Trump told The Blaze’s Dana Loesch on Tuesday. “And absolutely they should be defunded. I thought it was so cavalier, so horrible.”
Trump has come under fire from some pro-lifers for not addressing the controversy until a week after the first Center for Medical Progress video was released, particularly when most of his competitors had spoken out within the first few days. The Pulse 2016’s Jon Schweppe suggested he was “unwilling to tackle the life issue” because he “has very little credibility on it,” citing a 1999 interview in which Trump professed to be “very pro-choice in every respect,” including partial-birth abortion.
Live Action News has previously reported that Trump changed his position to pro-life sometime between then and 2011, telling CBN’s David Brody his conversion was due to the birth of a friend’s child.
“She was pregnant and he didn’t really want the baby. And he was telling me the story,” Trump said. “He was crying as he was telling me the story. He ends up having the baby and the baby is the apple of his eye. It’s the greatest thing that’s ever happened to him.”
Nearly every Republican presidential candidate has now called for defunding Planned Parenthood. Only Ohio Governor John Kasich has declined to say whether he would push for defunding the abortion giant when asked about the subject, though he did call the video “abhorrent” and say “violations should be fully prosecuted.”