The media has a history of going to bat for the abortion industry. Most recently, CBS reporter Kate Smith did what other news outlets have done, falsely claiming that the phrase late-term abortion is “non-medical” and “violent rhetoric.” But there are several problems with this — one of them being that CBS itself has used the phrase “late-term abortion” multiple times in the past.
Last summer, Smith had a softball interview with Planned Parenthood’s acting president, Alexis McGill Johnson. But if that weren’t proof enough of Smith’s pro-abortion leanings, her recent Twitter thread is a glaring example:
Last night at a New Jersey rally, Trump spoke on abortion: “Virtually every top Dem also now supports late term abortion, ripping babies straight from womb. That’s why I’ve asked congress to prohibit later term abortion because GOP believes every child is sacred gift from God.” …
Important note: – “late-term Abortion” is NOT a Medical term. Doctors refer to this as late termination of pregnancy. – the violent rhetoric he’s using is something the clinics and @NatAbortionFed have [said] is directly responsible for increases in violence against abortion clinics.
“Ripping babies from the womb”
President Trump has referred to “ripping babies straight from the womb” more than once. And in a D&E abortion, which is done in the second trimester or later, babies are literally ripped limb from torso. It is an extremely violent procedure, done on yet-living, pain capable preborn children — something the media isn’t telling people. Former abortionist Dr. Anthony Levatino describes the procedure in the video below:
“Late-term abortion” is commonly used by the abortion industry
While it may not be a medical term, “late-term abortion” has been a commonly used term, even among the abortion industry and the media, for years.
- According to the Washington Examiner, the phrase “has been widely used in medical journals and within medical groups.”
- Months ago, Planned Parenthood’s Director of Political Communications, Erica Sackin, used “late-term” to refer to abortion in a FOX interview (see 2:14 in the link). Does this mean that Planned Parenthood was not being “medical”?
The phrase “late-term abortion” is still used by those who work in the abortion industry. For example:
- Capital Women’s Services website uses the phrase “Late-Term Abortion Care….”
- Late-term abortionist Curtis Boyd used the term “late-term abortions” in an interview, posted on his business’s website.
- Abortionist Warren Hern uses the term on his business website as well, calling himself a “Late Term Abortion Specialist.”
- In an online publication, Guttmacher wrote, “Banning certain late-term abortion methods interfere with the provider-patient relationship.”
- As far back as 2010, 2011, and 2012, Guttmacher’s link on policies used a combination of both: “later-term abortion.”
“Late-term abortion” has been commonly used by the media
Perhaps CBS journalist Kate Smith is unaware that her media cohorts at CBS News and its affiliates have used the phrase “late-term abortion” for years as well. Below are just a sampling.
CBS – February 2019:
CBS – January 31, 2019:
CBS – September 8, 2016:
CBS – January 20, 2011:
CBS Baltimore – January 31, 2019:
CBS Miami – January 13, 2014:
CBS NY – October 16, 2016:
CBS affiliate – January 30, 2019:
Responding to Smith on Twitter, National Review staff writer Alexandra DeSanctis effectively cut through Smith’s rhetoric, writing, “It matters not at all whether ‘late-term abortion’ is a precise medical term. The question is: What happens in this procedure? And the answer is not a pleasant one, hence the word games.”
It matters not at all whether “late-term abortion” is a precise medical term. The question is: What happens in this procedure? And the answer is not a pleasant one, hence the word games.
— Alexandra DeSanctis (@xan_desanctis) January 29, 2020
Live Action News has documented inaccurate reporting by the media on later abortion in the past, such as how later abortions are rarely done for health reasons, and that they are frequently committed on healthy babies. Additional examples of the use of the phrase “late-term abortion” by other members of the media were previously documented by Live Action News here.
“Like” Live Action News on Facebook for more pro-life news and commentary!