After a record-breaking 2017, Planned Parenthood’s latest annual report (2018-2019) has revealed that the taxpayer-funded abortion corporation managed to rake in a whopping $110 million in excess revenue for that year, making Planned Parenthood’s net assets for 2018 nearly $2 billion.
Almost every year since 2000, Planned Parenthood’s revenue has exceeded its expenses by tens of millions of dollars. And as Live Action News previously documented, since last year, the corporation has seen a nearly $53 million increase in taxpayer dollars, going from $563.8 million in 2017 to $616.8 million in 2018 (the highest amounts recorded in recent years). In Planned Parenthood’s latest 2018-2019 annual report, it also reported its largest number of abortions ever in a single year, ending the lives of 345,672 preborn babies in 2018, an increase of almost 13,000 from 2017.
Planned Parenthood’s excess revenue equates to $1.5 billion since 2000:
In past reports, Planned Parenthood consistently recorded its excess revenue over expenses, revealing in 2017 that it took in nearly $245 million over expenses. But in 2018, unlike past years, Planned Parenthood did not include this line item. However, despite this, a review of the report revealed that by subtracting PP’s net expenses from PP’s total revenue we can determine that excess revenue totaled $110 million in 2018 alone. Since 2000, while demanding more from U.S. taxpayers, the corporation has raked in over $1.5 BILLION in excess revenue.
Planned Parenthood now does 40 percent of all U.S. abortions:
Live Action News has also documented PP’s increased supply of taxpayer funds which results year after year in higher abortion numbers and decreased health services. According to a recent analysis by Operation Rescue, Planned Parenthood now dominates the abortion market, operating 54 percent of the nation’s abortion facilities. While abortions have been decreasing nationwide, abortions at PP are increasing. Live Action News has previously documented that:
- Abortions nationwide have dropped 50 percent since 1980, according to the latest (2016) CDC report.
- The U.S. abortion rate hit its lowest point since Roe v. Wade, according to 2017 Guttmacher data.
- Abortions are declining nationally after topping more than 20 million since 2000.
But even as abortion numbers overall are dropping, Planned Parenthood has scooped up more of the nation’s total abortions, and based on the latest reported data (2017) from the Guttmacher Institute, PP now does 40 percent of all U.S. abortions.
- In recent years, abortions increased nearly seven percent (6.67%), from 324,008 in 2008 to 345,672 in 2018 – the highest ever recorded in one year.
- Since 2010, PP has committed an average of 330,000 abortions a year.
- Since 2000, Planned Parenthood has committed over 5.6 million abortions.
Despite excess revenue and increasing control of the abortion market coupled with massive millions of taxpayer dollars pouring into PP’s coffers each year, many of the corporation’s actual health services and clients are decreasing.
Decreases from previous year (2017 to 2018):
- Contraception services dropped two percent (2.46%) from 2,620,867 in 2017 to 2,556,413 in 2018.
- Breast exams dropped nearly 11 percent (10.56%) from 296,310 in 2017 to 265,028 in 2018.
- Pap tests decreased nearly seven percent (6.73%) from 274,145 in 2017 to 255,682 in 2018.
- Total cancer screenings dropped nearly eight percent (7.84%) from 614,361 in 2017 to in 566,186 in 2018.
- Private donations fell six percent (6.26%) from $630.8 million in 2017 to $591.3 million in 2018.
Decreasing Services – Past Years (2008 to 2018):
- Patients: declined 20 percent from three million clients in 2008, and nearly 23 percent (22.58%) from 3.1 million in 2006.
- Facilities: between 2008 and 2018 (865 v 600) the organization shuttered nearly 265 centers despite once operating 900 facilities.
- Total services: rose slightly from last year but decreased 10 percent (10.25%) from 10,943,609 in 2008 dropping to 9,82,1548 in 2018. Total services have dropped 13 percent (13.72%) from a high of 11,383,900 in 2009.
- Contraception services: decreased nearly 33 percent (32.97%) from 3,813,875 in 2008 to 2,556,413 in 2018. Since 2009, Planned Parenthood’s contraception services have fallen 36 percent (36.24%) from a high of 4,009,549.
- Emergency Contraception: decreased nearly 59 percent (58.68%) from 1,436,808 in 2008 to 593,586 in 2018.
- Total Cancer screenings: dropped 69 percent (69.39%) from 1,849,691 in 2008 to 566,186 in 2018. The service decreased nearly 74 percent (73.76%) from a high of 2,157,849 in 2004.
- Breast Exams: decreased nearly 68 percent (67.92%) from 826,197 in 2008 to 265,028 in 2018. And dropped nearly 76 percent (75.61%) from a high of 1,086,654 in 2000.
- Pap Tests: decreased 72 percent (72.08%), falling from 915,716 in 2008 to 255,682 in 2018.
- Prenatal Care: increased eight percent (8.20%) from 9,055 in 2017 to 9,798 in 2018 but dropped 68 percent (68.49%) from a high of 31,098 in 2010.
- Adoption referrals: increased 51 percent (51.15%) from 2,831 in 2017 to 4,279 in 2018 but dropped nearly 13 percent (12.89%) decline from a high of 4,912 in 2007.
- Well-woman exams: dropped two percent (1.70%) from 216,722 in 2017 to 213,042 in 2018 and nine percent (9.48%) from 235,355 in 2016.
- Other Procedures, Women and Men: has included “WIC services (a federally funded nutrition program for low-income women, infants, and children up to the age of five), pediatric care.” In 2018, PP added “transgender services” to this line item. Despite adding the additional service, heavily promoted by PP, the numbers dropped 26 percent (26.24%) from 13,203 in 2017 to 9,738 in 2018 and have decreased 88 percent (88.05%) from 81,492 in 2008.
Planned Parenthood’s skyrocketing excess revenue, despite billions of taxpayer dollars funneled into the organization, is leading to a call for the abortion business to be taxed. In an op-ed penned by Students for Life of America president Kristan Hawkins, she writes, “At the very least, Planned Parenthood and the nation’s abortion vendors should be taxed, just as cigarettes, alcohol and gambling are taxed, because of the high social costs of abortion for the women subjected to them.”
Operating with more than half-a-billion dollars in taxpayer funds and tax-free status gives Planned Parenthood incredible room to maneuver politically. As reported at National Review, “Planned Parenthood’s PAC is among the most powerful lobbying groups in American politics, shelling out $40 million last year for ‘public policy’ and investing upward of $175 million in such nebulous categories as ‘movement building,’ ‘strengthening and securing Planned Parenthood,’ and ‘engaging communities.’”
Planned Parenthood’s abysmal record of decreasing health services and increased abortions and profits should not result in millions from the U.S. taxpayer. But, as this report revealed, PP’s taxpayer funding actually increased nearly 70 percent (69.82%) from $363.2 million in 2008 to $616.8 million in 2018. Today, the over half a billion in annual taxpayer dollars, an average of $1.7 million a day, which Planned Parenthood receives has resulted in PP committing 81 abortions for every adoption and 35 abortions for every prenatal service referral. This abortion behemoth currently ends the lives of 947 preborn babies a day, 39 each hour, committing one abortion every 91 seconds.
It is past time to defund Planned Parenthood.
“Like” Live Action News on Facebook for more pro-life news and commentary!
Stories like the one you just read transform hearts and minds.
For example, one of our followers, Ross, messaged us and commented:
“I began to question my pro-choice views after reading articles about Live Action…Live Action is primarily responsible for my becoming Pro-Life through their well-thought-out, scientific information and the emotionally and uplifting stories of real people with real experiences in saving the lives of their children regardless of what others might say.”
Knowledge is power and CAN open eyes to SEE the truth. And, YOU can provide the spark to transform someone’s mind, just like Ross.
The DAILY publishing at Live Action News is only made possible through generous people, like you, who give $5, $10, or $25.
Your gift today will not only keep these stories coming in 2020, but also help us open more eyes and change minds to be fully pro-life and save lives.
Will you join us in creating a world where the killing of preborn children is unthinkable and support Live Action News by making your tax-deductible gift today?