Planned Parenthood’s estimated abortion revenue totaled more than half (52%) of the organization’s non-government health services revenue, reaching nearly $200 million ($190.3) for the second year in a row, according to an analysis conducted by Live Action News.
The stunning numbers confirm what Planned Parenthood’s new president Dr. Leana Wen claimed when she identified abortion as Planned Parenthood’s “core mission.” As Live Action News previously documented, in 2017, although Planned Parenthood claimed abortion made up just 3.4 percent of its services, the abortion vendor was able to increase abortions nearly four percent (3.54%), from 321,384 in 2016 to 332,757 in 2017, the highest number committed by the corporation since 2011.
To calculate the latest data, Live Action News used the same methodology utilized in 2016: examining revenue and median abortion costs and comparing them against reported abortion totals in Planned Parenthood’s 2017-2018 annual report, in which the organization reported committing 332,757 abortions.
1. Average cost of abortions
Planned Parenthood’s website notes the cost of a surgical abortion:
An abortion in the first trimester can cost up to $1,500, but it’s often less. The price of an abortion depends on where you get it (hospitals are often more expensive), and whether or not you have health insurance that will cover some or all of the cost. The cost also varies based on how long you’ve been pregnant — a second-trimester abortion usually costs more.
It also says this about the cost of a medication abortion:
The abortion pill can cost up to around $1000, but is often less. The cost of a medication abortion varies and depends on where you get it and whether or not you have health insurance that will cover some or all of the cost.
However, this year, Live Action News was able to locate more specific pricing at Planned Parenthood’s website.
Early Abortion/ Medication Abortion Pill
- Planned Parenthood’s former “special affiliate” the Guttmacher Institute, reports that the average amount paid for an abortion in a nonhospital setting at 10 weeks’ gestation and with local anesthesia was $508, in 2014. The average paid for an early medication abortion (up to 9 weeks’ gestation) was $535.
- However, at Planned Parenthood, the cost of medication abortion in Indiana or Kentucky is $600, while in Kansas it ranges from $650-$700 and $700- $815, and in California Planned Parenthood charges $600- $750.
For our measurement, we will use $508 for early surgical abortions and $600 for medication abortions.
Here’s what a medication abortion entails, according to former abortionist, Dr. Anthony Levatino:
In-Clinic Surgical Abortion
- Guttmacher’s reported median cost at 20 weeks was $1,195 in 2014.
- Planned Parenthood’s Orange and San Bernardino facilities published a general range of $500 to $3,000.
- Planned Parenthood’s Ohio facility breaks abortion costs down as follows:
- 13 – 13.6 weeks $625
- 14 – 14.6 weeks $650
- 15 – 15.6 weeks $800
- 16 – 16.6 weeks $825
- 17 – 17.6 weeks $950
- 18 – 18.6 weeks $1000
- 19 – 19.6 weeks $1100
For our measurement, we will average Planned Parenthood’s Ohio abortion prices and use the $1,195 price for abortions past 21 weeks, although they are likely higher.
Abortions in the second trimester are often called dismemberment abortions as described in the video below:
2. Number of abortions by trimester
Live Action News broke down the 332,757 Planned Parenthood abortion numbers as follows:
- Medication abortions: 103,155 (31 percent per Guttmacher’s most recent abortion data)
- Abortions 13-15 weeks 20,631 (6.2 percent per Guttmacher 2014.)
- Abortions 16-20 weeks 12,645 (3.8 percent per Guttmacher 2014.)
- Abortions 21 weeks and greater 4,326 (1.3 percent per Guttmacher 2014.)
- First trimester surgical abortions: 192,000 — the remaining balance of abortions.
3. Estimated abortion revenue: $190,274,370
To determine Planned Parenthood’s estimated abortion revenue, Live Action News multiplied the number of abortions by trimester with the average cost of abortions, as follows:
- Medication abortions: 103,155 (31%) x $600 = $61,893,000
- Surgical abortions (first trimester): 192,000 (balance) x $508 = $97,536,000
- Surgical abortions (13-15 weeks): 20,631 (6.2%) x $650= $13,410,150
- Surgical abortions (16-20 weeks): 12,645 (3.8%) x $970= $12,265,650
- Abortions after 21 weeks: 4,326 (1.3%) x $1,195 = $5,169,570
Total estimated abortion revenue using these figures is $190,274,370
Percentage of abortion revenue
We then broke down the percentage of abortion revenue using figures from a revenue statement located in Planned Parenthood’s 2017-2018 annual report.
Note that there are two sources of revenue for “health services,” which include:
- Government Health Services Reimbursements & Grants (taxpayer dollars) – $563.8 million
- Non-Government Health Services Revenue – $365.7 million
Percentage of non-government health services revenue: 52%
If we divide Planned Parenthood’s estimated abortion revenue ($190,274,370) by the total non-government health center revenue of $365,700,000, we find that abortion makes up 52 percent of Planned Parenthood’s non-government health services revenue.
Percentage of non-government health services plus tax dollar revenue: nearly 20.5%
However, even if we include the $563.8 million in government dollars with the $365.7 ($929,500,000 million), abortion revenue can be estimated at 20.5 percent of all Planned Parenthood’s health services revenue.
Percentage of all Planned Parenthood revenue: 11.4%
Then, if we include all revenue sources ($1,665,100,000), abortion revenue would exceed an estimated 11.4 percent.
According to our calculations, over the past few years, estimated abortion revenue has steadily risen at the abortion corporation:
Between 2016 and 2017 government funding to Planned Parenthood (over half a billion dollars annually) rose nearly four percent (3.69%) even though the abortion vendor has been embroiled in numerous scandals, abuses and fraud, including covering up for child sexual predators as well as disgruntled employees, claiming a toxic work environment and pregnancy discrimination.
With increasing abortions generating millions in revenue for Planned Parenthood (while national abortion totals decrease) is it any wonder why actual health services like cancer screenings and well women exams at Planned Parenthood have decreased? Planned Parenthood has vowed in 2019 to focus even more on their abortion “cash cow,” and if radical amendments such as the Equality Act or Medicare for All are passed, we can expect those numbers to skyrocket even more.
“Like” Live Action News on Facebook for more pro-life news and commentary!
Stories like the one you just read transform hearts and minds.
For example, one of our followers, Ross, messaged us and commented:
“I began to question my pro-choice views after reading articles about Live Action…Live Action is primarily responsible for my becoming Pro-Life through their well-thought-out, scientific information and the emotionally and uplifting stories of real people with real experiences in saving the lives of their children regardless of what others might say.”
Knowledge is power and CAN open eyes to SEE the truth. And, YOU can provide the spark to transform someone’s mind, just like Ross.
The DAILY publishing at Live Action News is only made possible through generous people, like you, who give $5, $10, or $25.
Your gift today will not only keep these stories coming in 2020, but also help us open more eyes and change minds to be fully pro-life and save lives.
Will you join us in creating a world where the killing of preborn children is unthinkable and support Live Action News by making your tax-deductible gift today?