A central Illinois Planned Parenthood called 911 for the 2nd time in 19 months on November 19, 2020. Operation Rescue was able to obtain limited 911 records as well as a redacted NFIRS (National Fire Incident Reporting System) form, despite the fact that Illinois’ sweeping abortion legislation in the summer of 2019 removed many safeguards for abortion facility accountability and transparency. Prior to changes in Illinois’ abortion law, reports included significantly more information. However, Operation Rescue was able to ascertain that the call was for an 18-year-old abortion patient.
The young woman hit her head after fainting and was “not alert” at the time of the 911 call, and it is not known whether the incident happened before or after the abortion. Video footage provided by Springfield Right to Life shows a person being wheeled out on a gurney and loaded into the waiting ambulance:
This Planned Parenthood center’s previous 911 call was placed on April 18th, 2019, for a young woman undergoing an abortion at 11 weeks who experienced an unspecified medical emergency requiring transport to a local hospital.
This facility’s website states that it commits abortions “19 weeks and 6 days after the start of your last menstrual period” every Thursday, and dispenses the abortion pill “up to 11 weeks and 0 days after the start of your last menstrual period,” Monday through Friday.
Illinois’ abortion facilities have experienced increasingly frequent 911 calls following Illinois’ radical abortion law changes.
Just this year, an Illinois abortion provider’s medical license was suspended after a pro-life watchdog group alerted authorities that he had failed to disclose formal discipline against his medical license in another state at the time of his Illinois license renewal. Such disclosure is mandated by law. In mid-October, a troubled abortion facility along the Illinois-Missouri border injured two women within just days of each other, following two other injuries six weeks apart earlier in the year. The same facility has “previously been cited for numerous health violations.” Another Illinois abortion facility, in the Chicago suburb of Flossmoor, has called 911 for four different patients this year, including on back to back days in May. A second suburban abortion facility, this one in Aurora, Illinois, called 911 in late May for an unresponsive post-abortion patient. Also in May, while the rest of the country was shutting down to minimize the spread of COVID-19, Planned Parenthood opened a new abortion facility in Waukegan, Illinois.
Despite the clear need for increased safety standards, accountability, and enforcement, Illinois’ abortion industry shows no signs of self-correcting. Among the components of the egregious 2019 law:
- Clinics no longer need to notify the coroner if a woman dies during an abortion, the safety of abortions in Illinois is no longer assured under Illinois State law.
- Illinois abortion facilities no longer need to qualify for ‘ambulatory surgical center’ licensure.
- There are no longer specifications about where abortions must be performed for safety purposes, such as at a hospital or in an ambulatory surgical center.
- As noted above in the scarcity of information made available to Operation Rescue following the Springfield Planned Parenthood 911 call, abortions are now specifically exempted from Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) public records requests.
- In a striking example of cognitive dissonance, a person may be charged with homicide for the death of a preborn child due to voluntary manslaughter, involuntary manslaughter, reckless homicide, battery, or aggravated battery, but “this Section shall not apply to acts which cause the death of an unborn child if those acts were committed during an abortion.”
So long as the lax legal atmosphere in Illinois continues, many more women will suffer at the hands of Illinois abortion providers.
“Like” Live Action News on Facebook for more pro-life news and commentary!