Planned Parenthood’s former “special affiliate” The Guttmacher Institute has released their latest annual report revealing that they received over one million dollars from American taxpayers, slightly more than they received in 2015. Guttmacher Institute has been fighting every effort to defund abortion corporation Planned Parenthood and some would say they have good reasons to keep those millions of tax dollars flowing in.
In addition to US Funds, The Guttmacher Institute received over $12 million from foreign governments as well.
In addition to the taxpayer, The Guttmacher Institute received over $7 million from several pro-abortion organizations including:
- Gynuity Health Projects
- Bixby Center for Population, Health, and Sustainability, University of California, Berkeley
- Ford Foundation
- Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation
- The William and Flora Hewlett Foundation
- The David and Lucile Packard Foundation
- Society of Family Planning
- United Nations Foundation
Guttmacher portrays itself as an independent research organization but the truth is that money has flowed from Guttmacher to Planned Parenthood in the past, and vice-versa. The fact is that Guttmacher supports and promotes the full agenda of Planned Parenthood because Guttmacher and Planned Parenthood’s collaborations go back decades.
For starters, the organization’s name comes from one of Planned Parenthood’s former presidents, Alan Guttmacher. Guttmacher also happened to be a former vice president of the American Eugenics Society. The ideology and conduct of the American Eugenics Society has been viewed as extremely racist.
The Guttmacher Institute has defended Planned Parenthood’s over $500 million dollars of tax payer funding annually. While the organization claims defunding Planned Parenthood would cause millions of women to lose health services, a review of the data by Live Action News reveal that this simply is not the case. The fact is that Federally Qualified Health Centers (FQHC) offer a broader array of primary care services and can assist far more patients than Planned Parenthood currently does now.
After all, Planned Parenthood has lost more than half a million patients (600,000) since 2011, while taxpayer-funded health centers, as identified by the federal Health Resources and Services Administration (HRSA), saw a 2 million patient increase by 2015, providing care to 24,295,946 patients.
Live Action News has documented that Planned Parenthood, which masquerades as a health care provider, is actually decreasing the number of services that it offers women. When comparing Planned Parenthood’s services to FQHC sites you see that defunding this abortion corporation will have little effect on women in particular.
- In 2015, federal health centers performed mammograms on over 521,000 patients – an increase from 470,000 in 2014. Planned Parenthood performed zero, because Planned Parenthood facilities do not have mammogram machines.
- In 2015, Planned Parenthood breast exams dropped 12 percent from 2014. Stunningly, from 2005 to 2015, breast exams declined by more than 62 percent (842,399 to 321,700).
- In 2015, federal health centers administered over 1.8 million Pap tests to patients — an increase from 1.7 million in 2014; Planned Parenthood‘s 2015 report reveals that between 2005 (1,116,681) and 2015 (293,799), Pap tests (tests for detecting cervical cancer) at Planned Parenthood declined nearly 74 percent (73.68%).
- The most recent figures show that cancer screenings continue to decline at Planned Parenthood. From 2005 (2,009,835) to 2015 (665,234), cancer screenings plummeted nearly 67 percent (66.90%).
- In 2015, federal health centers cared for a total of 552,000 prenatal patients — an increase from 528,000 prenatal patients in 2014; yet Planned Parenthood’s prenatal services were nearly cut in half in the last year (17,419 in 2014 to 9,419 in 2015) a trend that has continued for years. From 2005 (13,261) to 2015 (9419), prenatal care dropped nearly 29 percent (28.97%) .
- Recently released Planned Parenthood numbers reveal that in 2015, contraception services at the abortion corporation decreased 4.6 percent from the previous year. In the past ten years (2005 vs. 2015), contraception services at Planned Parenthood decreased by 25 percent to their lowest in years.
Despite these numbers, Live Action News has documented that politicians and media alike repeat Planned Parenthood’s talking points. And, one of the biggest venues for publishing those talking points comes directly from The Guttmacher Institute.
The fact is that no matter how many “reports” Guttmacher authors about Planned Parenthood it is far from independent in its history with the organization.
In years past, the media correctly referred to Guttmacher as a “division of Planned Parenthood,” and some supporters referred to Guttmacher as the “research arm” of Planned Parenthood. Past issues of Planned Parenthood’s annual reports called Guttmacher a “special affiliate” of Planned Parenthood.
Today, it is rarely mentioned. Why?
Even Planned Parenthood themselves at one time correctly referred to the Guttmacher Institute as a special affiliate in: 1999, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004 and 2005 – where on page 15, PPFA references the Guttmacher Institute as a “special affiliate to which PPFA supplies some support.”
Then, there is that pesky little fact that Planned Parenthood, while getting millions in tax payer revenues, did at one time, send donations to The Guttmacher Institute. But, not to worry, those dollars never influenced the “research” organization, right?
Ryan Bomberger of The Radiance Foundation found evidence that in its 2007 tax filing, Planned Parenthood still listed Guttmacher as an “independent affiliated organization” (emphasis mine) which was receiving money from the abortion giant. Bomberger wrote, “Planned Parenthood […] gave $2,142,076 of our tax dollars to their ‘research’ arm, Guttmacher.”
Yet, on their website, Guttmacher claimed that in 2007, their “special affiliation” status with PPFA was terminated.
Lest you think the charity only went one way, don’t. In fact, the so-called independent research organization the Guttmacher Institute also gave millions of dollars to Planned Parenthood. Planned Parenthood’s own annual reports show the massive amount:
- 1991 $4.2 million
- 1992 $4.2 million
- 1993 $6.5 million
- 1994 $5 million
- 1995 $6.2 million
- 1996 $5.7 million
- 1997 $4.7 million
- 1998 $34.7 million
- 1999 $6.7 million
- 2000 $6.4 million
- 2001 $16.7 million
- 2002 $7.8 million
- 2003$7.6 million
- 2005 $7.2 million
Reports after 2005 stop listing Guttmacher, but they do list “private contributions” and “other operating revenue” which they do not break down into detail.
For this reason, the American taxpayer deserves to know that Guttmacher has been funded by the taxpayer for years. So, Live Action News has assembled a list of those dollars from the organization’s annual reports:
- 2016 $1,112,684
- 2015 $939,963
- 2014 $827,961
- 2013 $1,062,276
- 2012 $1,525,996
- 2011 $1,537,782
- 2010 $1,145,292
- 2009 $1,026,676
- 2008 $1,195,894
- 2007 $1,904,127
- 2005 $1,926,689
- 2003 $2,195,936
- 2002 $1,671,342
The Guttmacher Institute is not unbiased when it comes to research on Planned Parenthood, and the media knows this. Now, perhaps the tax payer will as well and Congress will finally move to defund them both.