For such a proud defender of the “right to choose,” Planned Parenthood notably chafes at the suggestion that its primary business is abortion. The organization’s spokespeople have laughably claimed that abortion constitutes just 3% of their services – yet LifeNews reports that Planned Parenthood’s 2011-2012 annual report shows that 92% of the pregnant women who come to them receive abortions.
LifeNews also report several astonishing findings from the Susan B. Anthony List’s analysis of the numbers:
- During fiscal year 2011-2012, Planned Parenthood reported receiving a record $542 million in taxpayer funding in the form of government grants, contracts, and Medicaid reimbursements. Taxpayer funding consists of 45% of Planned Parenthood’s annual revenue.
- In 2011, Planned Parenthood performed a record high 333,964 abortions.
- Over the past three reported years (2009-2011), Planned Parenthood has performed nearly one million abortions (995,687).
- Planned Parenthood reported a total of three million clients in 2011, meaning that 11% of all Planned Parenthood clients received an abortion.
- In 2011, abortions made up 92% of Planned Parenthood’s pregnancy services, while prenatal care and adoption referrals accounted for only 7% (28,674) and 0.6% (2,300), respectively. For every adoption referral, Planned Parenthood performed 145 abortions.
- Cancer screening & prevention services and contraceptive services provided by Planned Parenthood continue to drop. Contraceptive services have dropped by 12% since 2009, and cancer screening & prevention services have dropped by 29%.
The numbers are consistent with the previous year’s findings, which found that abortions made up 91.2% (329,445) of Planned Parenthood’s pregnancy services, with prenatal care coming in at 8.6% (31,098) and adoption referrals at 0.2% (841). While Planned Parenthood’s adoption referrals more than doubled, it and other legitimate medical services still represent a tiny sliver of their business.
As SBA List president Majorie Dannenfelser points out, “Planned Parenthood has upped the ante even further by mandating that all affiliates provide abortions beginning this year,” so we should expect the kill-to-care ratio only to grow even starker.
Whenever its taxpayer funding is endangered, Planned Parenthood trots out all the harmless services that would be impacted. But SBA List notes that the abortion giant “reported $87.4 million in excess revenue, and more than $1.2 billion in net assets.” In light of how little real care Planned Parenthood actually does, it’s clear that cutting down on cancer prevention and prenatal care rather than abortion would be its choice in the face of restricted income.
Of course, pro-aborts have always played fast and loose with the significance of percentages to the debate. Despite abortion constituting so much of Planned Parenthood’s work, we can’t cut its funding because of all the women we’d supposedly doom to breast cancer. But we’re not supposed to care about late-term abortion or fetal awareness, because most abortions take place earlier. Then again, the 1% of abortions due to rape are so incredibly important that we can’t talk about prohibiting abortion without the conversation getting derailed by shrieks about “rape babies.”
Like the Mafia and Tammany Hall providing social services to provide cover for their real objectives, Planned Parenthood is a massive chain of butcher shops, whose interest in women’s genuine wellness is merely a product of political necessity. The time to end the con is long overdue.