Mississippi Governor Tate Reeves signed a slew of new pro-life laws during a signing ceremony Wednesday, remarking that the legislation marks a new pro-life phase in the state.
“Mississippi will always protect life,” said Reeves. “Our state will continue to be a beacon on the hill, a symbol of hope for the country, and a model for the nation. Mississippi will be relentless in its commitment to life. We will be relentless in our support of mothers and children. And we will be relentless in our efforts to advance the New Pro-life Agenda. The legislation I signed today is further proof that when it comes to protecting life, Mississippi isn’t just talking the talk – we’re walking the walk.”
The bills include:
- House Bill 1671, which expands the state’s tax credit for donations to pregnancy resource centers from $3.5 million to $10 million.
- Senate Bill 2781, which creates a state website for pregnant women, offering them information on resources and services that can help them and their children.
- Senate Bill 2696, which offers an income tax credit of up to $10,000 for adopting a child from within the state, and $5,000 for adopting a child from outside the state.
- House Bill 1318, which increases the state’s safe haven age and allows cities and counties to utilize baby boxes as drop-off points in conjunction with the safe haven baby law.
- House Bill 510, which establishes transparency for foster parents about their rights and responsibilities.
- House Bill 1149, which separates the Mississippi Department of Child Protection Services (CPS) from the state’s Department of Human Services, allowing CPS, which is the foster care agency, to receive more federal funding.
- House Bill 1625, which increases the budget of CPS.
Almost a year ago, Mississippi led the way to the greatest conservative win in a generation – the overturning of Roe v. Wade.
While I’m extremely proud of the role that Mississippi played in this monumental victory, winning a court case was never our true objective. Rather, it…
— Governor Tate Reeves (@tatereeves) April 19, 2023
Pro-lifers applauded Reeves and the state of Mississippi for enacting the new laws.
“The state that restored the right of the people and elected leaders to protect unborn children makes history again today, as Governor Reeves signs eight pro-life, safety-net measures into law,” said SBA Pro-Life America Southern Regional Director Caitlin Connors. “Through its Gestational Age Act, the life-at-conception protection that is now in effect, and more policies and programs that help families, it’s incredible to see how much ground Mississippi has covered in the course of a year to protect the unborn and serve their mothers in the Dobbs era.”
Connors went on, “We thank Gov. Reeves, Attorney General Lynn Fitch, and legislative leaders for boldly advocating measures that carry out the full-picture pro-life mission to support women during pregnancy and beyond. The impact of these policies will be felt for generations.”
Did you know that as little as $10 a month is enough to reach more than 3,000 people with the truth about abortion that no one else is telling them? Click here to start saving lives 365 days a year.