A bill moving forward in California, if passed, would require life-affirming pregnancy centers to give their clients referral information for local abortion providers.
AB 775 requites that these life-affirming centers must:
- post a notice stating: “California has public programs that provide immediate free or low-cost access to comprehensive family planning services (including all FDA-approved methods of contraception), prenatal care, and abortion, for eligible women. To determine whether you qualify, contact the county social services office at [insert the telephone number]. “
- give a printed or digital copy of this statement to clients onsite
If the center is unlicensed (meaning, it does not hold a license from the state of California or have a licensed medical provider on staff) and primarily provides pregnancy-related services, it is required to:
- post in their entrance and waiting area a notice stating: “This facility is not licensed as a medical facility by the State of California and has no licensed medical provider who provides or directly supervises the provision of services.“
- give copy of this statement to clients onsite
- include this statement in all digital and print advertising
This bill forces pregnancy centers to give women information that is already publicly available to clients who are already receiving free services. It passed the Assembly Health Committee on party lines, and moves to the Assembly Judiciary Committee for a vote at 8:30 a.m. PST on April 28th.
If you live in California, your presence would be greatly appreciated in State Capitol Room 4202 for the vote. Those who want to share their opinion about this bill can do so by contacting the following legislators:
Mark Stone, Chair: (916) 319-2029
Donald P. Wagner, Vice Chair: (916) 319-2068
David Chiu, Bill Author: (916) 319-2017
Patrick O’Donnell: (916) 319-2070
Luis Alejo: (916) 319-2030.
Ed Chau: (916) 319-2049
Cristina Garcia: (916) 319-2058
Chris Holden: (916) 319-2041
Brian Maienschein: (916) 319-2077
James Gallagher: (916) 319-2003
For more information, go here.