When the baby of a 13-year-old mother was delivered into a toilet, Detroit firefighters stepped in to save the child’s life.
On a 911 call placed by the mother’s 12-year-old sister, she said her sister was in labor and had gone into the restroom and started to deliver a baby. When first responders arrived, the baby had been born and the young mother was unconscious. The full-term, seven pound baby had been wrapped in a towel and laid on the floor, still attached to the placenta. The baby had no pulse. First responders immediately began CPR.
“Every 30 seconds, there was a little gasp,” said Sgt. Tom Suchora according to Fox 2 Detroit. “When I put my finger in its mouth to try clearing its airway, it actually gagged a little bit – so I knew there was a chance.”
“We wrapped the baby in a blanket to keep him warm,” said Firefighter Marcus Moore. “On the second cycle of CPR, she started to breathe again on her own and take that first gasp of air. From there EMS was at the scene, got the mom inside and continued to do CPR to the hospital.”
Both mother and baby were stabilized in the ER and transferred to Children’s Hospital of Michigan. There is no word on the mother’s condition at this time. The girl’s identity will likely not be released since she is a minor. According to WXYZ Detroit, the girl said that she did not know that she was pregnant.
When first responders arrived at the house in response to the call, the sister who had placed the call was in a frantic state, before firefighters were able to calm her down and reassure her. It is not known if there was anyone else in the home other than the two girls at the time, as they were the only ones named in the report. Moore was glad to be able to step in and help the girls when he did.
“You just want to do the right thing, so that you get the right results,” said Moore. “We were fortunate to do that today. It was surprising, the age that she was, I am pretty sure she was scared. But that’s why we are here – to take care of those situations.”
Deputy Fire Commissioner Dave Fornell agreed. “The first responders saved the kid’s life, no doubt about it,” he said.
“Like” Live Action News on Facebook for more pro-life news and commentary!